ఆయ్య అమ్మ ఆట సిద్ది లో కొంత బాగం

ఆయ్య అమ్మ ఆట సిద్ది లో కొంత బాగం

PLAYING THE PARENTS

Ayya-amma aata*

Vemula Yellaiah

Aa…Padma! How come you’re here? Are you taking care of hens here? How’s that your hens are here in the field?
Saidga! Why’ve you come here to our fields? As of me, I’ve been coming to my fields both mornings and evenings. I’ve to bring the hens and take them home. Since the cats are knocking away the hens at home, baapu, my father assigned me this work, as it’s vacation time for the school.
Padma! I came here to graze my buffalo. This buffalo was given to us by the government-folk. Ayya, my father asked me to graze the buffalo here.
Arei, you Saidga! The buffalo belongs to the government; you are boasting as though it’s your own buffalo! We own so many of them you know! There’re labourers to take out our buffaloes for grazing. Do you know about it?
Padma! For that matter, are the hens your own? Are they born of humans or what? Where did you get them from?
Long ago an eagle dropped a chick in the yard of our cattle-shed while knocking away somebody’s chicks. Having grown up, the chick grew into a hen and made so many hens by laying eggs, you know!’
If you feel so proud of the hen that belonged to someone, how should we feel about our own buffalo? The government gave it to us because we’ll pay them. That’s how we could get it. It’s our own. Do you come here everyday, Padma? We can play like friends everyday – the game of cooking rice, cooking curry – playing the parents!
It’s too late; the rest of them all have left for the village, Saidga!
So what? We two can play!
But, Saidga! I don’t know how to play! Would it be enjoyable? I’ll come in the morning a day after tomorrow; the same way we met now. Let’s make it, so that we can play. Saidga! What’s that you are eating? Why don’t you give me some?
The other day I had given you some; you got vomited after eating it. It’s the same thing – the roasted pieces of dry bullock-meat. It tastes better than horse gram. If I don’t munch the pieces of bullock-meat now and them, I feel hungry. If I have a few pieces with me, I don’t feel hungry at all for any number of days.
On the first occasion, I felt it nauseating to munch them. But the next time when you had given me a piece, I found it very tasty. I felt like eating it again and again. Saidga! Why don’t you give me some pieces so that I’ll go home eating them up. It’s already noon. The hens are pecking each other as it got delayed. Saidga! We’ll play the game a day after tomorrow. The other day I dreamt of playing this kind of game with you. I’ll go home ra!
The buffalo’s new to this grazing yard. It’s crossing over the grazing yard. It might graze the crops. We’ll play a day after tomorrow; you may leave Padma!
The sun’s about to get into its nest. The buffalo is longing for its calf, as its udder is full of milk. I must go home quickly.
What’s the matter, my son? You have come home with the buffalo even before the sunset? Did you think that grazing the buffalo’s like attending a school?
Yes, amma! I really thought so. I don’t feel like staying at the grazing yard; it’s been the second day. I’m not able to give up the earlier schedule. The game of playing the parents is going to be a day after tomorrow. Amma! I’ve to be awake early in the morning. I’ve to cook rice and the curry of dry bullock-meat in the game. Prepare the meals for the lunch. You have to give me ayya’s dhoti, shirt and head-cloth. His new pair of cheppulu, sandals too. What else I need? Why don’t you give me your thali, consecrated nuptial-knot, that’s there around your neck? You have to give me the baasingam (triangular brow-mask used at wedding), which you had preserved. Do you listen to me amma? It’s going to be a funny game you know?
What’s the matter ra, my son? You are speaking as though a real wedding is going to take place. Are you mad or what?’
Amma! It’s only a mock wedding; not a real one! Did you get the meals ready to be taken for lunch?
Yes. I’ve served some curry of bullock-meat. I prepared the meals-box. Eat your fill when you feel hungry. Do you follow what I say?
Amma! You said you would go for fetching potable water; you can leave now.
I’ll accompany you up to there ra; the buffalo might defecate and I’ve to collect it for making dung-wedges.
No, no. you must leave, amma! I’ll go only when you leave. Otherwise I’ll not leave.
I’ll leave ra, then. Eat your fill. Drink water in the rivulet. My son! Take care at the grazing-yard.
I’ll leave vay. Have you given me everything I had asked for? Don’t you find baasingams? It’s alright. I’ll manage with flowers by gathering from the forest. Doesn’t Padma agree? It’s a mock wedding anyway! We’ll have to play it in real terms. Is it a fun? We’ll have to attend to everything. We’ll have to learn about how to run a family. I’ll have to run the family seven times more than ayya had done. Only then I’m what I’m. Oh there she seems; she’s already arrived. I can see her who’s waiting behind the crooked branches of the bastard-teak wearing langa, full-skirt; she’s standing there. Oh you buffalo! Keep walking at a slow pace. There I see my Padma in full-skirt of flowered designs.
Padma! Have you already arrived? Let’s go and play.
Arie Saidga! My hen has escaped and ran into the trees. When I’m worried about the hen that’s escaped, you are hastening me to play. I’ll break your legs; you, the one with a charred face!
Why are you angry just for such a small matter? Don’t I look handsome? You had never said I looked ugly! Had you let me know it earlier, I wouldn’t have befriended you at all! Mine’s not a charred face; it’s only dark in complexion. Mine’s not a rounded face like my mother’s; it’s a long face. My amma always rejoices looking at my face, you know! In that case let’s cancel the game; I’ll not play.
Ei! I said in a lighter vein. I came here when the dawn broke you know! Having come so early, I’ve been waiting here without being seen. Since I had been waiting for you, my fingers lost grip and the hen escaped into woods. It took so long to sight the hen. It got stuck up in the bushes. Having been stuck up in the thorns, my langa got torn. You’ve come riding the buffalo just as a lord would ride his horse. I got irritated when you refused to play. Then why did you propose to play first of all? Did I know this kind of game? I’ll complain to my baapu; you know what kind of man he is! Didn’t he beat you the other day when your buffalo grazed in my fields! I had witnessed it; he had thrashed till your shorts got off, you! Didn’t you urinate at his thrashing? You fellow! I’ll get you thrashed the same way! Since yester day, I’ve been thinking of playing the game of cooking rice; cooking curry – playing the parents. I’ve brought toy-utensils and broken rice and chilly powder too. If you refuse to play, I’ll sprinkle the chilly powder in your eyes. Will you play or not? First of all find me my hen. Go and catch hold of it. Let’s both catch hold of it. I’ll try at the other side. Saidga! Why don’t you speak out? You remained standing motionless like a snake that had gulped soil!
Padma! I got scared; developed shivering in my spine. Didn’t you say that you would get me thrashed! It’s alright if you sprinkle chilly-powder in my eyes, but don’t get me thrashed by your baapu. I don’t want to play this game, Padma! May the game be damned! I apologize to you. I’ll not stay here; I’ll go running. Why should I worry about the missing hen? Let me run scurrying till I reach home.
Look at my langa; I’ve tucked it past the knees facilitating to run. Do you want to escape ra? Don’t you know that I stood first in the running race in the school? Even if you escape to your house, I’ll drag you here and play with you. First of all let’s run chasing the hens throughout the grazing lands. As you run in the front, I’ll run behind you. Arei! There are shrubs; there are thorns; I find it difficult to keep pace. Run on the path if you’re a gallant. Then I’ll prove myself. Arei, arei! You’re hopping over the hedges like a rabbit. How to catch hold of you? Arei! I’m about to die; I’m bitten by a snake. Oh my amma; oh my ayya. Arei Saidga, you shit eater! Come running and rescue me!
Ammo, Padma! Is it a snake that has bitten you? Do you know that I had killed snakes in the past! I’m coming Padama; just wait. I’m there within minutes. Oh! Have you collapsed on the floor? Don’t cry Padma. Don’t think otherwise. Show me the snake; I’ll kill it just at a strike. Where’s it bitten you? Climb up on to my shoulders; let’s go to the village. I’ll get a manthram chanted to exorcise the pain. I’ve a stone at home that sucks the poison. I bought it from a snake charmer for using in emergency. Come on; climb up on to my shoulders. Don’t cry; lest the poison might spread over the body. If the poison spreads over, one doesn’t survive. Believe me, Padma!
I only told a lie so as to hold you back. Let’s play now. There’s neither a snake nor nothing. You’re a snake yourself sans poison. The sand of the rivulet is so soft ra, Saidga. Do as I say. Both the buffalo and the hen have runaway. I only played a mischief with you since you had refused to play. Let’s play the game in real terms – the game of cooking rice, cooking curry – playing the parents.
Alright, then. Let’s play! Here you are! This is the head-cloth. Sport it as a sari. Ei remove the tucking, and tidy your langa. Now you look like my amma; yes that’s how you should look like. Now act like your mother. Did you observe your mother at work?
I’ll act like my amma. She cooks rice and curry. By evening she gets herself made up and get into the other room. I noticed them once unknowingly. Ever since, I felt an unknown sensation in me. I felt like playing the parents with you. Imagine that it’s curry; this is rice. We should sit facing each other and eat rice together like parents. Then you should play like ayya. Do you seem like ayya now wearing dhoti and a shoulder cloth?
Padma! Let me tell you something. Once, there was an emergency nature call in the midnight. I woke up. It was then that I had seen. Ours being a single-roomed thatched house, I saw it when my ayya laid on my amma. I thought that my amma might die of suffocation; that my ayya’s going to kill my amma. I thrashed him with a stick. I felt as though he had fallen off the cot. They got up and tidied their clothes. I kept awake throughout the night laughing to myself. When I was asleep, I thought of playing similar game with you. Do you know?
Imagine that you are my baapu; I’m like my amma. What do you say, Saidga?
Padma! It’s an insult to me vay; in our community it’s not like that. I only will sit on you. I only will be above you. What you say is not the way at all! I’m your husband; and you’re my wife. Is it fine? Is it fine now? I’m like my ayya; you’re like my amma. What do you say, Padma?
How can you be above me? Being a Madiga, you’re being arrogant. I came to you because the boys of our caste don’t play. I’ll get you thrashed by my baapu.
It’s alright then; you might do as you like it. I’m silent now. Let me ask you a riddle, “A bird got menstruated under a green snake; tell me what it is!”
Saida! What kind of riddle is this ra? It’s a girl who menstruates but not birds!
Padma! Confess that you don’t know; then I’ll tell you. Shall I tell now? Think about it or else I’ll tell. You’re losing your chance…
I don’t know since I’m not educated. You may tell me.
Isn’t the chilly-tree green in colour! Aren’t its chilies red? That’s it. Don’t you know?
Padma! This dhoti’s my ayya’s; it got wet!
Ammo! I’m bleeding, Saidga!.
Padma! Did you get hurt? Let me see once. I’ll place herbal leaves on it. It’ll be healed at once.
I’m having pain in the stomach. So much of blood! The clothes became damp. I’ll go up to the well. There’s water at the pump-set now. I’ve to take bath. My baapu is over there. Don’t accompany me; lest he’ll kill you. Let me go to the well.
* * *
My daughter! Why are you crying? Where are the hens? It’s midday; wherever have you gone to? Why are you keeping your hands back? Turn back, you donkey; widow. Oh! You’ve come of age. Get into the cattle-shed and be there.
Baapu I’m scared. Saidgaadu played with me.
Why do you talk of Saidgaadu? What do you mean by playing?
Baabu! Madiga-Saidgaadu played with me the game of cooking rice; cooking curry – playing the parents.
Is that so? Where’s he? It’s alright; don’t speak anything. Get on board the bullock cart. Let’s go home…Oh you, my wife, where are you! Our daughter has come of age; make her sit in the house; I’ll go out.
Why don’t you set the bullocks off! How long the bullocks would remain standing? Why are you leaving in a hurry? (Turning to her daughter) Oh my daughter! Why do you cry now after everything’s over, you pig!
* * *
Patel! What’s the matter? You’re coming to the Madiga-wada? Why don’t you tell us the reason?
Where is the house of Papi-gaadu?
Ayya! Over there, the one with the festoon of bullock-meat; that’s the house of Papi-gaadu.
You Siddi! You Papi-gaadu! Where’s your son?
He came home a while ago. He’s eating some rice. Why are you asking about him, patel? Has the buffalo grazed in your fields? We’ll pay you penalty. Don’t get inside; I’ll bring him out.
What do you mean by bringing him out? You wretched fellow!
Why do you kick in the stomach of the tender boy? Such is your foot; such is his tender body. Stop kicking him; he’s vomiting blood! Do you want to kill him or what?
Arei! You Madiga-chiefs! Don’t you all know how young my daughter is!
Yes she’s going to be of marriageable age. But what happened?
My daughter used to go to the school. Such a tender girl that she’s. This boy who’s like a donkey molested her. Is it right on his part? Speak out! She’s frequenting my fields these days. How dare he spoke to her? She had just stopped suckling recently. Is he born of dogs and foxes ra?
He has ruined the life of my daughter. She’s still so young you shit eater! You’ll lose your eyesight because of the sin you had committed, you! She’s bleeding. Are you a human being at all? You have no sense at least as much as an animal has. A bull that copulated with a cow will never even smell it again! I wish I defecated in your moth; may there be my urine in your eyes!
Patel! Why do you scold him like that?
You had sent him to the school. Now do you see what he had done? Had you not sent him to the school; had you sent him for the field labour work, this wouldn’t have happened.
Patel don’t kick him. The boy got tossed up when you kicked him. His mouth’s bleeding. Patel! We’ll find out from him when he comes to consciousness.
No, no! I’ll get him arrested by the police. I’ll go and lodge a complaint. Only then you’ll be under control. Don’t I know how you would settle the dispute? Are you superior to the lawyers? May the folk of your jati be fucked!
I’ll pray your feet; we’ll teach our son a lesson. We touch your feet. Please don’t go to the town, ayya!
How dare you touch me? Let me kick you!
Patel! Don’t kick me.
I’ll settle the matter in the town ra. Wait and see!
The patel has left. Splash some water on his face. The lad might die.
He’s thrashed my son; kill us too. We reared him bearing travails! My son seems to breathe his last even when we are alive. The caste-men are all simply looking on. None of them has rescued my son.
He’s the patel of the village. How dare we stop him while thrashing your son? What your son had done was anyway cannot be supported. How to stop him; how to rescue your son? Just because we belong to the caste, shouldn’t there be a valid reason to support you?
You’re such important people who visit the neighbouring villages for settling the disputes! Can’t you manage this?
Eh! This Madiga woman is speaking a lot. Her son being at fault, how could one rescue him? You wretch! Go and settle the matter in the police station, not here!
* * *
What’s the matter saar, sir? You’ve come to the police station?
I’ll let you know it confidentially. Saidgaadu, son of Papi-gaadu molested my younger daughter. I’ll offer you some money. But you should prove what the police are up to!
* * *
Who’s Papi-gaadu here? Is Saidgaadu your son? Let’s go to the police station. The patel has lodged a complaint. Come to the station with your bed-sheets. You have to go to the jail tomorrow. Bring money for the bus fares. Get into the bus.
Ayya! I touch your feet. The lad’s done it innocently. Penalize us. We’ll pay by selling out house and land.
There’s no question of imposing penalty. Is it a cattle shed or police station? Arei Saidga! Get inside and the rest may go out! Arei constable! Fasten a brick to his penis and hang it over the other side of the wall. Let his penis get snapped. The wretched fellow!
Certainly saar.
The others may leave the station. We’ll send him to the jail tomorrow. Go and settle the matter in Warangal. How much money do you have you? Arei constables! Grab the money from them.
Oh my son, Saidga! Ah my son, Saidga! What do we do my son! We can’t stand your agony, my son. We can’t stand you starve, my son!
* *
*An excerpt from Siddi, a Dalit novel, 2004
Translated by K. Purushotham